Andrea Monti is a professional Argentine tango dancer and maestra from Buenos Aires, Argentina. She has 25 years of experience in teaching and performing in Buenos Aires and around the world: USA, Canada, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Tonga Island, Brazil, Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Spain, Italy, France, Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Holland.
Andrea has been the Founder, Organizer and Director of “ATUSA” ,- the Argentine Tango USA Official Championship & Festival, which is the only official sanctioned branch of Tango Buenos Aires Festival & Dance World Cup (Mundial y Festival de Tango de Buenos Aires) since its beginnings in the year 2011: www.tangousachampionship.com
She was an official Judge of the “Mundial de Tango de Buenos Aires”/Tango Buenos Aires Dance World Cup in 2010 and 2011, and has been an active delegate member of the Association of Teachers, Dancers and Choreographers of Argentine Tango in Buenos Aires since its creation in 2001.
Her solid training as a professional Tango dancer is based on her intense training with great tango maestros from Buenos Aires (such as Mingo Pugliese, Raúl, Bravo, Susana Rojo, Alejandra Arrué, Graciela Gonzalez, Omar Vega, Roberto Herrera, Natalia Games and Gabriel Angió among others), as well as her previous and parallel intense studies in modern jazz dance, some ballet, yoga and stretching techniques.
Andrea has achieved top mastery of Argentine tango as an art form; her style is characterized by a refined mixture of power, sensuality and elegant moves – representing the traditional salon style of Buenos Aires. She gained fame and popularity due to her amazing technique, precise footwork, and her outstanding elegant “caminar a tierra”.
She has performed in famous venues in Buenos Aires such as the Maipo Theatre and show house El Caballito Blanco; at traditional milongas of Buenos Aires Confiteria Ideal, El Parakultural/Salon Canning, La Pulperia, Mansion Dandi and La Nacional, among others working mostly with “Los Reyes del Tango” one of the most acclaimed orchestras in Buenos Aires.
Andrea has a great reputation as a maestra due to her pedagogical training and personalized teaching method. She achieved great student – maestro relationship through developing and keeping efficient communication with her students, – (she studied Foreign Language Education including pedagogy, psychology, philosophy and learning and teaching processes and has a university degree in Graphic Design which has helped her tango career as she learned about quality education, teaching resources and ). Since 1998, she has been directing ladies technique workshops very successfully, becoming a very popular specialized maestra, especially in the USA.
She visited the USA for the first time in 2003 and some years later made base in the San Francisco South Bay area. In 2015 she started dancing professionally with Adrian Durso, who she married in 2018. See CV Couple
ANDREA has participated in several international events, shows and tango festivals being the most important:
- “ATUSA” Argentine Tango USA Official Festival and Championship (as a teacher, dancer, organizer and Director) 2011-2020 tangousachampionship.com
- Argentine Tango Show, at the Mildred Owen Concert Hall, Pacifica, November 2019;
- “Saving Lives” Gala event produced by CSF Foundation of Bakersfield, California, on November 17, 2018 at the Seven Oaks Country Club, Bakersfield, CA.
- El Mundo is the world” Show with Orchestra Victoria from Buenos Aires, on tour throughout the most important cities in California, – November 2016. Twelve performances at the main theaters such as the Herbst Theater in San Francisco, Sherwood Hall in Salinas, Trianon Theater in San Jose, Lincoln Theatre in Napa Valley, Alex Theatre in Glendale, Los Angeles,- among others.
- Feria Internacional de Biotecnología (2016 BIO International Convention) at the Moscone Center in San Francisco on June 7, 2016.
- “Alma de Tango” Show at the San Francisco Art Festival on May 20, 2016.
- “Special Holiday Season Tango Event” JCC Theatre Palo Alto, CA, December 19, 2015.
- “Una Noche de Tango” Show, San Francisco, CA September 2015 and 2014.
- “Horacio de Buenos Aires” at the Maipo Theatre in Buenos Aires, Argentina, honoring recognized Horacio Ferrer, well known respected artist , – a poet, a writer, and historian of tango) – June 2013.
- Alberta First 12 Day Argentine Tango Extravaganza Festival, in Calgary, Canada in 2012.
- Moonlight Tango Festival, in Vermont, 2011.
- Pulpo´s Tango Week in Buenos Aires, Argentina (2005, 2006 and 2007),
- Segundo Encuentro Internacional de Tango in Spain, 2004.
- Río de Janeiro Tango Festival in Brazil (2005).
- “Voces del Mundo” at the San José de Costa Rica National Auditorium, October 2005.
- PortlandTangoFest, Portalnd, Oregon, USA 2004.
- Andrea choreographed and performed at dinner shows as guest of honor in Bali, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur in 2004 and 2006.
- In Singapore, Andrea starred in a TV commercial that was broadcasted throughout Asia for the Ministry of Tourism in Singapore.
- “Las Estrellas del Tango” show with Los Reyes del Tango orchestra in Costa Brava, Spain, 2003.
- “Tango Takes Two”Company, performances at the Cremorne Theatre in Brisbane and The Playhouse Theatre in Perth, Australia 2002.
Additionally, Andrea has been teaching several special workshops and regular classes in different schools and milongas in California for 17 years:
San Francisco: “Malevaje” milonga at Verdi Club, La Genesis Milonga, La Pista Tango Studio Vercher Milonga;
Oakland: “Studio 1994” and Lake Merrit Milonga;
Sacramento: Tango by the River, Tango on Broadway, Sacramento, The Ballroom of Sacramento (2015 to 2019);
Modesto: Modesto Tango (2005 to 2018);
Santa Cruz: Milonga “Desde el Alma” and El Palomar Ballroom;
San José: Círculo Argentino de San Jose, Starlite Ballroom and Dance Boulevard Ballroom;
Mountian View/Cupertino: Firebird Dance Studio in Mountain View,
Eureka: Humbold Tango (2011, 2012 and 2017);
Los Angeles: “Práctica Eléctrica” at Electric Lodge, milonga “El Encuentro” at the Tango Room Dance Center, milonga “El Abrojito”at Asosiación Argentina de Los Angeles, milonga “Tango Mio” at Candela’s and Milonga “The Tango Experience” at the women’s Club, (2015-2020).
Portland, Oregon (2004)
Philadelphia and Washington DC (2013)
New York, NY (2013 and 2015)
El Paso, Texas: Dance Works Studio, February 2018.
Hawaii, Maui (Makawao Tango) and Oahu (Paradise Tango and Medici’s Oahu Tango, 2019).
Andrea has great reputation as a tango maestra, and is well respected in the USA, – especially in California, where she has worked diligently with constant devotion contributing to the growth and development of both the existing and new tango communities for the last 17 years, – being her magnificent most distinguished contribution the Argentine Tango USA (“ATUSA”) Official Championship & Festival.